Locksmithing/lost combination on safe

Question
QUESTION: Hi Andy,  I have a Victor Patent safe that was passed down in the family and we do not have the combination.  There is a gold emblem on the front that says "Highest Award-Grand Prize St. Louis 1904."  The number on the lock is 197177.  Is there any way to find the combination for this?

Thanks so much!!
Robin

ANSWER: Hi Robin,

The "Highest Award" decal was placed on ALL of their safes between 1905 and 1915.   This award was NOT for an individual safe, it was for their "DISPLAY" at the St. Louis Exposition.

Manufacturers NEVER published any information concerning serial numbers, combinations or ownership for obvious security and liability reasons.   Once a company goes out of business, these records are lost for ever.   In this case, Victor was acquired by the Safe Cabinet Company in 1920, so records have not been available for over 90 years now.

With the serial number 197177, I would expect your safe to have a 100 number dial, and a three wheel lock, which means that you have approximately 1,000,000 possible combinations to test to open the safe.   At 500 per day, it would only take about 5.3 years to test them all.

Your other option would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.   Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant rates.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

QUESTION: We live in a small town in central Illinois where there are no safe companies but are willing to travel.  Our zip code is 61938 and I would say the closest big city is St. Louis, MO.  Thanks so much for your help.

Robin

Answer
Hi Robin,

I'll give you several choices to discuss your safe with.    Probably the closest company would be:

Barlow Lock & Security, Inc.
217-347-9630
1107 South Willow St.
Effingham, IL  62401

I don't personally know this companies level of proficiency or capabilities, but they are probably the closest (about 25 miles), and they do work on safes & vaults.    You can discuss their options and pricing.   Just make sure that YOU understand all the costs up front, and what condition you should expect your safe to be in after they get through.   If you have any questions feel free to run them by me before having them do the work.    Locksmiths that indicate that they know safes, but can't give you a flat price for the total job, usually do so, because they either don't have the experience, training or knowledge.

The next couple of companies are at more of a distance from you, but the same info goes for them.   You can save some of the travel expenses, if you can take the safe to them to have it opened and repaired.

The first company that I would recommend is:

Frank Zykan Safe & Vault     about 120 miles
636-328-2929
St. Charles, MO   63301

Next would be:

Fink Lock & Safe Company      about 175 miles
773-486-2030
2311 N Western Ave
Chicago, IL  60647

Either of these companies can help you out, but they are further away.   You can discuss your options with them.   They may know of someone closer to you, also.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)