Locksmithing/Old Diebold Safe

Question
my mom has an old Diebold safe that has been in our shed for years, last time it was open was maybe five years ago, tried opening it this weekend but we are having a hard time remembering the dialing sequences. any help would be great!!!!we are in the Los Angeles area.
Diebold
cat.no.12431
then another number of 10Y2170

Answer
Hi Trac,

The "tag" info that you provided off of the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA) label, are from the testing agency and have nothing to do with the safe.

The dialing sequence for the lock which is probably (possibly) on your container should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be between 80-90).

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise - do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

There are only three reasons that a safe lock won't unlock (open), in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  Mechanical problems.

based on your information, I would have to believe that "IF" you have the correct numbers then you are making a dialing error, or  "IF" you are dialing it correctly, then you don't have the correct numbers, or they aren't in the correct order.
"IF" you are using the correct numbers and are dialing it correctly, then it may be a service issue.

If you still can't get it open, then you may need to have a safe technician from a local safe company check it out, and/or open it for you.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)