Locksmithing/"Old" Gary safe

Dear Terry, My recently deceased Father-in-law(retired locksmith)has a monster of a safe in his garage. It is a drop box type safe(not on wheels), with a combination lock on both sides(approx. dimensions - 30x32x66"). It must weigh a ton! The locks still work(Sargent & Greenleaf). The only info I can find on the safe is Gary Safe Co. - City of Industry. Is this company still in business? Do you have any idea if it has any value other than scrap?? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much, Larry Davis - Findlay, Ohio

Hi Larry,

Sorry this company merged in the early 1980's to become "Allied-Gary International", which was acquired in the early 1990's by NKL Industries, which was acquired around 1999 by FireKing International.    While FireKing does still manufacturer some safes under the "Gary" label - this is NOT the same company, and they have no parts or records for any of the old safes.

You didn't mention whether or not the safe is open and you have a working combination.   If it is locked up, it is possibly going to cost more to open and repair it, than it is worth.   As far as selling it - if it is locked up, then it basically has a negative value - that being the cost to open it and repair it.

Again, as far as selling these safes, even if it is opened and working, these are considered obsolete, no parts available, which means that its value is severely diminished.   As for scrap - if it has concrete in the walls, then most scrap yards will not take it unless you strip it down to bare metal for them.

Bottom line, no matter what you do with it (other than use it yourself), this is NOT going to be the cash cow, that you possibly hoped it would be.    Sorry.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)