Locksmithing/How to open a victor safe

Question
Hello, I have a Victor Safe  Patent safe made by Victor Safe & lock Co. Cincinnati, O. Pat Oct. 2 88 serial # 34547 I got this safe at an auction. Wondering if you would know how many numbers are in the combination or even if you had an idea or how to get it opened. This dial has 60 numbers.
Thank you for your time. Bill

Answer
Hi Bill,

Yes I do know how to get it open!

First off, let me say that other than the proper dialing sequence, for liability and security reasons, we do NOT provide opening instructions to anyone - regardless of if you are an owner or a locksmith.   As this is a general forum type website, we have no way of telling who you are, your relationship to the container, or even your authorization to work on it.    Also, we have no control over who reads these questions and answers, and do not provide any information which can be used in an illicit manner.

That being said, Victor used a couple of different locks, of their own design on these little safes.   They generally had either a two or three wheel configuration with a drive wheel.   The dialing sequence for the two wheel lock is:

3 times Right to the first number,
2 times Left to the second number,
1 time Right until the dial stops.

The three wheel version's dialing sequence is:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the third number,
1 time Right until the dial stops.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the index mark.   For instance if your first number is 25 and you are dealing with a 3 wheel lock, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (LEFT), stopping the fourth time the number 25 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

These locks came with both 60 number dials and 100 number dials.   As you have the 60 number dial it will limit the possible number of combinations down that you need to try.

It helps to know how many wheels that you have to deal with.   You can try to count them by dialing left 5 or 6 times (complete revolutions), parking all of the wheels on a neutral number (like 25), and then dialing in the opposite direction (right) and counting each wheel as you pick it up, to determine the number of wheels.

With a 60 number dial and a two wheel lock, using the above dialing sequence, you only have about 3600 possible combinations to test.   If you have a three wheel lock, you are looking at closer to 216,000 possible combinations.

Based on the serial number of your safe, I would expect it to have a two wheel lock.

Once you get it open, you can observe the lock during the dialing sequence to obtain an exact combination so that your lock will open each and every time.

If you are unsuccessful in counting the wheels (don't feel bad, most locksmiths can't do it), then you would need to test all of the possible combinations for the three wheel lock.

Your other option would include contacting a local safe company to have them open the safe and recover the combination for you.   if you don't have a local safe company, then I would need to know where you are located (zipcode) to possibly refer you to someone in your area.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)