Locksmithing/Opening an old safe

Question
Safe info
Safe info  
Hello. My neighbor just recently had his fathe pass away and received every thing from his will. This included a safe, he wanted my help opening it and to research about it. All the information that is on the front is the following: Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Safe 321366 Fire Classification C, Tool Resisting Safe t-20 burglary 56748. Any info would be amazing. Thank you!

Answer
Riley,

First item - the tags and info.   These are simply testing agency "RATINGS" and have nothing to do with the safe or the manufacturer.   They ONLY indicate what the safe was built for and/or designed for.   In this case the "Classification C" rating indicates that it is a standard "1 hour" fire resistive container, designed for storage of documents, to protect them from fire or heat, for at least a 1 hour period.
The "T-20 Burglary rating" is actually NOT a burglary rating, the "T-20" stands for TAMPER Resistant - 20 minutes, NOT burglary resistant.
The serial numbers on the tags are for the tags, NOT the safe.

Even if you had the manufacturer of the safe, chances are they are out of business.   Manufacturers NEVER published or released ANY information about the safe (like combinations) for obvious security and liability reasons.    How safe would your safe be, if there was a book published with combinations for safes, based on serial numbers????

So you basically have two options for opening the safe at this point.   You can test every one of the possibly 1,000,000 potential combinations, or you can have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company.    Testing 500 combo's every day it will only take about 5.3 years to test them all.

Have your friend contact a local safe company (NOT a locksmith company) to schedule up an appointment with their safe tech, to have the safe opened.

Sorry the news isn't better, but at least it gives you a place to start.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)