Locksmithing/Removing Safe Interior

Question
Safe Interior
Safe Interior  
Simple question.  I am restoring a Victor Safe and have noticed damage to the interior wooden panels.  I am uncertain as to how to remove and replace these.  I see no fasteners to hold them in place.  Are the top, bottom, and side panels typically glued into place?  Is there a trick to removing them or is brute strength and a sharp hand tool the answer?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Pete,

Simple Answer:   If you are planning on replacing the wood, then you don't have to be "nice" to them.

Generally the top and side panels are glued and wedged into place.   The top and bottom panels may be wedged in by the side pieces, or the side pieces may be wedged in by the top and bottom.

There is a very good chance that they were glued in place, so I would simply take a wide sharp tool and a hammer and clean it out.   If you aren't saving them, then don't fret over them!

What I would recommend is that while you are removing them, keep a sharp eye out for how they were installed, it may give you some ideas for installing your new panels.

NOTE:   Dry fit all of the new panels, supports, drawers and shelves before gluing and nailing, to ensure that everything will be nice and tight.    Remember that when you open your safe for someone to look at, this is NOT a large cabinet, so they WILL be looking at or noticing every detail, including screw-ups, so take your time and do it right.    Remember - measure three times, cut once.

I would also recommend doing all of your staining and varnishing with the wood disassembled to ensure complete coverage.    Trying to do it installed winds up with runs and puddles that may be un-noticed until too late.     Again dry fit everything to ensure proper fit, before final installation.

Send me photos when you get finished, I would be happy to see what you have done.   Andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)