Locksmithing/smart key application

My new entry locksets are Kwikset (KW1)with 5 pin smart key. My existing deadbolt locks are Kwickset (KW10)with 6 pins. Can the new locks be keyed to the 6 pin key?

Hello Aaron,

Using the included instructions rekey your new locks.  When you insert your existing key it will slide in all of the way and should rekey using the smart key instructions without any issues.

Kwikset 6 pin locks use a key that is really the same as a 5 pin lock.  The only difference is that on the 6 pin locks the key stops using the bottom shoulder stop instead of the top one like 5 pin locks use.

A word of caution though, smart key locks are the second dumbest design and one of the top worst types of locks if you want security. They can be easily bypassed and doing so leaves virtually no trace.

We live in a throw-away world so Kwikset is taking advantage of that by making a lock & promoting the heck out of it only to force you to buy a new one in half the time a normal lock would need replacing.

Taking locksmiths out of the picture only creates more work for us so thanks Kwikset.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.