Locksmithing/Steiffel-Freeman Safe

Question
Hello,
We have a Steiffel-Freeman Safe, manufactured in Philadelphia, and forget the last number of the combination.  I have read your other comments, and wondered how do we identify if the lock, which is a Yale lock, is a 026, 027, OB, or S&G C87?  We do not know the age of the safe, only that it has been in our family for 50+ years, or longer, and the last person who knew the whole combo recently passed away.

Thank you,

Laura

Answer
Hi Laura,

I'm not sure why you need to "identify" the lock???    If the only number you are missing is the last number of the combination, then you would simply make a spread sheet, with your known numbers, and substitute each number on the dial for the last number of your combination.   As far as the type of lock, it sounds to me like you are just guessing, as you have locks listed, from two different manufacturers.

Your spread sheet should have 100 possible combinations.   Dial each one until the lock opens.

As you didn't provide the combination that you have, I can't help you determine what lock that you possibly have.    The majority of the older S-F safes used the Yale OB type locks - so I would probably start there.   The later models may have used either a Yale OC5 type or an S&G 6720 type lock.
The Yale 026/027 type rotary bolt locks were generally a four wheel lock, and while used on S-F safes, this wasn't their standard lock.

As you also didn't provide any useful information about the safe, or photos for me to go on, I can't provide much more useful information concerning a possible lock or a possible dialing sequence to work from.

If you would like me to look at your safe to try to determine what you might have, I would be more than happy to, but I will need you to send the pics to my email at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com  

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)