Locksmithing/Adesco Safe

Question
We have an older Adesco safe at work that we do not have the combination for, but I wanted to sell. Can the safe be "picked". Would it be worth the cost to have a locksmith open the safe and then sell the safe or should I just sell for scrap.

Answer
Steve,

While the safe can be opened, "picking a lock" is what we do to "KEY" locks.   Safe locks have to be manipulated and/or possibly drilled to open.

NOTE:   I NEVER, EVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as generally they do not have the training, skills, education or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

As far as the potential value of the safe, as you have not given me any useful info about the safe and/or its rating, I have no idea of whether it would be "cost effective" or worth opening.

Safes are built and rated on their ability to resist burglaries and/or to keep unauthorized people out - this includes the safe technician legitimately trying to open it.   COST would be based on the rating of the safe.   
For instance basic or unrated safes should cost around $350 to $500 to open AND repair the safe to operating conditions.
Medium rated safes (TL-15 types) should cost around @500-$750, and
Higher ratings - (TL-30 and above) could cost as much as $1000 to $1350 - PER lock.

Why does it cost this much?    If they were easy to break into, they wouldn't be very safe!

While I'm sure that you can possibly make some money from scrap value, without knowing what you actually have (type, model & rating) I have no way of making a comparison of what it MIGHT be worth - if it was opened and operational.

I'm sure you were looking for a straight forward - here's what you should do - answer, without more information about the safe, this is about as good as it gets.

If you want more of an evaluation, I will need more info as well as photos of the safe.   If you don't have a local safe company (NOT a locksmith), then I would need to have a zipcode, for where you are located, to see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)