Locksmithing/Adesco Safe

We have an older Adesco safe at work that we do not have the combination for, but I wanted to sell. Can the safe be "picked". Would it be worth the cost to have a locksmith open the safe and then sell the safe or should I just sell for scrap.

While the safe can be opened, "picking a lock" is what we do to "KEY" locks.   Safe locks have to be manipulated and/or possibly drilled to open.

NOTE:   I NEVER, EVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as generally they do not have the training, skills, education or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging exhorbant fees.

As far as the potential value of the safe, as you have not given me any useful info about the safe and/or its rating, I have no idea of whether it would be "cost effective" or worth opening.

Safes are built and rated on their ability to resist burglaries and/or to keep unauthorized people out - this includes the safe technician legitimately trying to open it.   COST would be based on the rating of the safe.   
For instance basic or unrated safes should cost around $350 to $500 to open AND repair the safe to operating conditions.
Medium rated safes (TL-15 types) should cost around @500-$750, and
Higher ratings - (TL-30 and above) could cost as much as $1000 to $1350 - PER lock.

Why does it cost this much?    If they were easy to break into, they wouldn't be very safe!

While I'm sure that you can possibly make some money from scrap value, without knowing what you actually have (type, model & rating) I have no way of making a comparison of what it MIGHT be worth - if it was opened and operational.

I'm sure you were looking for a straight forward - here's what you should do - answer, without more information about the safe, this is about as good as it gets.

If you want more of an evaluation, I will need more info as well as photos of the safe.   If you don't have a local safe company (NOT a locksmith), then I would need to have a zipcode, for where you are located, to see who I might know in your area.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)