Locksmithing/broken old floor safe

Question
QUESTION: I have an old circ. 1982 floor safe that was flooded years ago and rusted.  Some one I guess attempted to open it but twisted the combination dial off and also twisted the release lever off . I don't know the type of  safe but it was a lock made by sargent and greenlee.   Ive tried local locksmiths but no one wants to work on it.  I have some time being incapacitated and thought I would give it a go.  So I drilled through the combination area first  good grief it was 2.5 in. of steel, but im not able to open it.  Any suggestions

ANSWER: James,

First mistake - never use locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.   You are fortunate that they all turned you down.

Second mistake - I never recommend projects like this as a DIY item, for the same reasons I don't recommend using locksmiths.

Hopefully you haven't ruined the container to a point that it can't be opened or repaired.

Recommendation #1   Contact a local SAFE company, that has a trained safe technician on staff, to have them open the safe for you.

Recommendation #2   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

while I applauded your efforts, if safes were easy to break into, even by owners, they wouldn't be called "safes", they would probably be called piggy banks!

I've opened a lot of safes which were in similar conditions to yours, and because of rust and corrosion, none of them were easy, even for me, which would make it doubly hard for a locksmith or as a DIY project.   I even had to open one up that was STILL under 6 inches of water - let me tell you that was an interesting job.

"ONE" inch of solid steel can grow to about 12" of rust, as it corrodes, which means that the worse the corrosion, the more the door can be stuck or bound up.   While using a rust killer and penetrating oil to flood the door can help, until the lock and bolt work are retracted the door will never open.

contact a local safe company to see if they can do to help you.   Warning:   Unless you absolutely have to see what is inside the safe, cost to open it WILL possibly be more than buying a new one and having it installed.

Hope this helps

QUESTION: Thanks do know anyone in lexington ky

Answer
Hi James,

I would recommend you contact Joe Cortie, he was the president of the Safe & Vault Technicians Association (SAVTA), and is a master safe technician.   If he can't help you, he WILL know of someone in your area who can.

J Cortie Locksmiths
859-223-2982
Lexington, KY 40514  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)