Locksmithing/Cary Floor Safe

Question
Safe Combo
Safe Combo  

Safe Picture
Safe Picture  
Hello, I purchased a Cary floor safe for my business and was given a combination and I cannot get it open. I am confused with the directions.  it says:
Pass zero 5 Times
5 Right
4 Left stop 78
3 Right Stop 28
2 around 50
slowly back to 0
My Name is Jerome can you help me?
My cell is  

Answer
Hi Jerome,

Generally people pass combinations along the way that they understand them, and NOT necessarily the way that they operate - this appears to be the case with your combination.

You didn't mention where in California you are located, and you also didn't include the serial number of the safe which is stamped into the handle - unfortunately I can't make it out in your photo.

Based on your photo, the lock that I would expect to find installed would be the Yale Y-6 and the dialing sequence should be:

5 times right to the first number, XX  (possibly 0)
4 times left to the second number, 78
3 times right to the third number, 28
2 times left to the fourth number, 50
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90 - NOT zero).

So it appears that your first number is missing - that being said, some people really don't won't to dial all of these numbers and so the first two wheels are set on the same number, assuming that THIS is the case, the dialing sequence would be:

5 times left to the first number, 78
3 times right to the second number, 28
2 times left to the third number, 50
1 time right until the dial stops (around 90).

Note 1:  Left is counter clockwise and right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives a the 12 o'clock index mark.

Note 2:  Unless zero (0 or 100) is actually part of your combination, then forget it.   This portion of your combination is simply a step that people some times use, who don't actually understand how their lock functions, and they think that it is necessary for them to start at zero.

If you still can't get the safe open, then I will need to know where you are located (zip code) so that I can recommend a safe tech in your area to check it out.

Hopefully one of the two dialing sequences above will work.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)