Locksmithing/changing safe combination

Question
Hi, I bought a Vanguard 1.5 safe from a neighbor and I lost the combination.  It is open now but I was wondering if I can change the combination so that I can lock it?  The only number I found on it is
#G-00468282.
Thank you

Answer
Mitzi,

Sorry, but I'm going to need more info about the lock.

Locks like options on cars, come in a lot of varieties, including mechanical and digital locks.  Digital locks, much like cell phones change almost on a yearly basis - so if your safe is 10 years old, it is going to have a completely different lock - and instructions, than a newer lock.

Mechanical locks come in a number of varieties as well.   While some locks use stamped/pressed wheels, which are non-changeable, some are hand change, and some are key change.

Second item - I NEVER recommend any type of lock disassembly as a DIY project for exactly the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can easily result in a very expensive lockout.

As long as the door is open, it is very inexpensive for you to simply take it to a local safe company to have them either reset the combination for you or show you how (digital locks).   Also this would solve the lock identification issues that you currently have.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.    If there are none, I would need more info about what lock you have installed, and/or photos to see what instructions I can provide.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)