Locksmithing/Cole Steel Safe

Question
Good evening.
My dad was given an wonderful old Cole Steel cabinet with a safe inside.  I believe the gentleman he got it from had never used it, but rather just closed the door and flipped the combination.  I was wondering if Cole had a standard combination that came with the safe and up to the buyer to change?  Or did they all have specific combinations?
If they came with a standard combination, do you happen to know what that was?

Answer
Hi Patti,

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "try out combinations", "standard combinations" or "default combinations".   Every container had its own individual and specific combination.

If you don't have the combination, then you have two options to get it open, you can test all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations or you can have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company.

While there aren't actually 1,000,000 combinations, from the outside, you don't have the luxury of determining the limits, so you would have to test them all.   At 500 per day it would only take you about 5.3 years to test them all.

The dialing sequence for this lock is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

If you still can't get it open, then I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have their safe tech open it for you.    Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage or charging excessive fees.

Sorry I don't have a better answer, and/or this is not what you were expecting, but if they used a standard combination, or if the manufacturer published the combinations, safes would not be very safe!

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)