Locksmithing/Diebold and LaGard

Question
Hello, Can someone tell me as to why some LaGard dial combination locks say Diebold on the back.  Is this two different companies? Is LaGard the name of a company as well as Diebold? Can someone clear this up for me?

Answer
Hi Dave,

Great question & simple answer.

Diebold AND LaGard are two separate AND independent companies, though LaGard is currently owned by Kaba-Mas.    Other than possible contracts, there is no relationship between the two companies.

The reason is quite simple.   Often times manufacturers either don't (or no longer) make a component or product.   This doesn't mean that they don't want to still use the item in the bigger scheme of things, but they "SUB" out items to be made, to their specifications, by other venders.

Diebold is primarily an END ITEM manufacturer - building safes, vault doors, ATM's, etc., while LaGard is primarily (ONLY) a lock manufacturer.    The Kaba group is one of the worlds largest lock manufacturers with divisions in Europe, Canada and the US.   Over the last 20+ years they have been buying up many of the lock manufacturers.    They didn't do it to get rid of the competition, as much as to insure continued product availability and quality.    Many of the companies which they acquired were smaller companies and in many cases possibly wouldn't have been around many more years.

LaGard has manufactured lock components for Diebold, Vindicator, Kaba and numerous other manufacturers - though in many of these cases the name on the case is that of the customer they are building the lock specifically for.

Note:   While LaGard may have similar locks available with their logo, the locks made for specific customers, may have some proprietary features which are not found on normal LaGard locks, so it does pay to take a really close look at the lock you are replacing to determine a suitable lock for that application.

While I am an authorized OEM vendor for both LaGard and Diebold, I also represent & install most of the other major brands of locks as well.    I am not tied to any one manufacturer or product line.    My ONLY biases concerning recommending one lock over another would be based on product quality and NOT any manufacturer loyalty.

Hope this clears it up somewhat.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)