Locksmithing/Direction to turn knob

Question
I have a Vanguard 2.5 home safe from Sears.  It's about 25 yrs. old.  I have the combination, but have forgotten which direction and how many times to turn the dial.  Can you please help me?
Thanks,
Joe

Answer
Joe,

Sears sold safes from several different manufacturers - all using the Sears brand name "Vanguard".

Dialing sequence will depend on what you actually have, AND the lock installed.

General dialing sequences are either LRLR or RLRL as:

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

If this doesn't work try the RLRL instead of the LRLR.

Also you can try

3 times Right to the first number,
2 times Left to the second number,
1 time Right to the third number,     Turn the key or the handle to open.

If this doesn't work try LRL instead of the RLR.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If it still won't work, you may want to have it checked by a safe tech at a local safe company.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)