Locksmithing/Old victor safe.

Question
Terry,
I found an old victor safe during a house clean out but of course, combination is unknown. On the front it says victor safe & lock co.  Cincinnati o.  Has a crest above the dial, victor patents above that. Has 4 wheels. 1910 on the center of the dial. . No handle, just the dial. Measures 17 x 16 x 20 not counting the wheels. Can send pics if needed. Would like to open it but not sure where to drill to see the dial nor the L-R-L pattern. Any help is appreciated. Could try the stethoscope I suppose if I knew the dial pattern.
Thanks,
Roy

Answer
Hi Roy,

Victor Safe & Lock Company, made numerous designs and lock models between 1885 and 1920, however they did not put dates of manufacturer on the safes.   Any dates referred to patent dates, so I'll need to see what you actually have and/or are referring to, so that I can possibly provide you with a dialing sequence for your particular safe & lock.   

Sorry, but even knowing the dialing sequence (pattern) won't help you with a stethoscope, unlike the "movies" where locks make clicks and bumps to indicate WHAT the combination is, it doesn't work that way in real life - if it did, safes wouldn't really be very safe, now would they.    While you may be able to hear some lock noises, if you don't know what you are actually hearing, AND more importantly how to translate those noises, all it will do is to add to your confusion.

Basic dialing sequences for most of the Victor locks built up through the early 1900's are either:

3 times Right to the first number
2 times left to the second number
1 time right until the dial stops (last number).

or

4 times Left to the first number,
3 times Right to the second number,
2 times Left to the third number,

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    For instance if your first number is 25, you would turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the fourth time the number 25 arrives at the index mark.

Generally the first sequence would be for 60 number dials and the second sequence would be for 100 number dials, though there were some slight variations.

you can make up a spread sheet, using the above sequences to figure out all of the possible combinations to test out, though I can tell you that a three wheel lock with a 100 number dial would yield about 1,000,000 possible combinations.   testing 500 EVERY day, would only take about 5.5 years to test them all.

My recommendation, if you can't get it open, using the above info, would be to contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open it for you.   

Sorry but for obvious security and liability reasons, we do not give out ANY opening information, other than possible or probably dialing sequences.   We have no way of knowing who you are, what your relationship to the safe is, and/or even if you have authority to work on the safe.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)