Locksmithing/open 4-drawer Meilink Hercules 4-drawer fire safe file cabinet

Question
The subject above explains most of my question.  My Church has inherited a 4-drawer Hercules file cabinet made by Meilink.  I is rated at 1 hour and the lock is missing.  I am a 25 year locksmith and have never run across a Hercules file safe.  I have opened many 4-drawer file cabinet either by lifting the locking bar or by making a key or picking the lock.  This safe has no lock and looking inside the lock hole, I see a small slot that looks like it is in the locking bar.  Nothing moves in any direction by prying the bar or lifting or depressing the small slot.  Would turning the safe upside down release the locking bar?  Any help you can give will be apreciated and by the way, thank you for your service.  Retired USAF here

Answer
Hi Ed,

"Hurcules" was simply one of Meilink's brands - NOT a separate manufacturer.

The lock on the majority of the containers that they built the key lock pushes straight in.

While the gang lock moves up and down, there is a pivot in the top drawer which the lock acts on.   When you push in, "IT" lifts the gang lock.    The gang locking bar is 5" back from the front of the container, though the pivot mechanism will be slighty closer.

NOTE:   If the lock is missing and the gang lock has not released, you may have a jammed mechanism.

while you have been prying, lifting and depressing, you should have been pulling.   This doesn't mean simply stick a wire in and start grabbing everything - if you don't know what, or can't see what you are trying to pull, then you may be wasting your time.   If you don't have a scope to look into this area, then you may not see the pivot device.

As the gang lock is spring loaded, if it isn't unlocking now, then turning it upside down is not going to work either.    It may be rusted or jammed in place.

removing the cap (screws should be in the rear) may give you top access.   drill a small hole over the gang lock, and use a wire probe to fish it "UP" into the unlocked position.

If it still won't open, then you can probably guess WHY your church "inherited" it.    Free isn't necessarily always "free".

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)