Locksmithing/Opening a Royal safe

Question
Safe front
Safe front  
I have a Royal leabank safe that I last opened about 5 years ago and I cant remember when you turn the combination to a number whether you go onto the next number or immediately change direction? I have tried several times and have not had any luck.
Kindest Regards Alan

Answer
Hi Alan,

This safe appears to be one of the many "relabeled" imported safes from China, Japan or Korea.   The "Royal LeaBank" logo, is simply the importers name and not a manufacturer.

The combination sequence that I would expect to find on this container should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to the fourth number - stop - turn key to open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise and right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   For instance if your first number is 50, you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 50 arrives at the index mark.

This lock may also dial RLRL instead of LRLR, so test it both directions - one should work, assuming that you have the correct combination (numbers).

If you still can't get it open, you may need to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)