Locksmithing/removing falcon exterior door lock

Falcon Exterior
Falcon Exterior  
Falcon Interior
Falcon Interior  
QUESTION: I have a Falcon lock on a condo exterior door (~1993 vintage) that I am trying to remove and replace with a digital lock.  I have removed all the interior parts, but the knob will not slide out.  It slides out about 3/8 of an inch.  Seems to be hanging up on the latch.  Several people have looked at it and se cannot figure it out.

I have been told there is a trick to it.  Have not been able to get a locksmith(s) in a small town to return calls.

ANSWER: Have you loosened the screws on the latch? Sometimes on steel doors the latch binds against the lock housing.

You're on the right track. It should just pull out.

What's happening is the latch is cocking in the door and binding the lock housing.

Wiggle it back and forth, up and down and it will come out.

QUESTION: Yes, the latch screws are loose.  There is a rose plate on the exterior side of the door that seems to be keeping the lock from sliding out.  I cannot get the exterior handle off though there seems to be some kind of detent on the exterior side of the assembly.

I'll try some more wiggling hill you diagnose the new information

On the latch side of the outside handle there is a poke hole.

Turn the key, and use a small stiff probe- ice pick, small allen wrench, and depress the retainer while pulling on the handle.

Once the handle is off, you should be able to unscrew the exterior rose.

Are you sure the exterior rose is not stuck on by the paint on the door?

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies