Locksmithing/Replacing Front door Mortise lockset

We have front door mortise type hardware, probably installed in 1995. The strike plates say "Premiere".  We want to replace.  We found an Emtek brand mortise lockset we like but the measurements don't match.  Internet searches for Premiere locksets have not turned up an exact brand match.  Short of replacing the entire door, how do we find a replacement that will fit the current openings.  2 3/8" Backset; 5" Center to Center, 8 1/4" from center of lever to center of screw hole for bottom of handle.  Door is 1 3/4" wide.

Hello Suzy,

Sometimes finding an exact replacement is next to impossible if not just difficult.  I'd suggest finding a lock you like and see if by installing the new on in place of the old one will cover up any holes that the old lock will leave behind then install the new lock over those holes.

Emtek makes a large variety of locks that may be similar in the dimensions you listed, as does Baldwin, Schlage and Kwikset.

You may want to hire a local locksmith to come to your location and find something that will work for you, with little or no modification to the door or frame.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.