Locksmithing/how to unlock safe

The only information that I have is what on the front and the handle and that is Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Safe 451128. Then beside that is the word fire classification C and on the handle 82591. I would like to know if there any way to get the combination to open it?

Hi Diane,

You haven't provided me with any useable information.   UL is simply a "STANDARDS" testing agency.  They have nothing to do with any manufacturers or combinations associated with any safe.   In this case your safe is built to a "Fire Classification C" standard, which is a 1 hour resistance rating.

If you (or we) cannot determine the manufacturer AND a serial number for your safe, then you have no where to go to check for a possible original combination.

That being said, manufacturers NEVER publish information concerning serial numbers or combinations, and many of the companies only maintain records going back about 10 years or so.  Many of the older manufacturers have gone out of business, so it may not even be possible to contact them for a record search.

So currently, with no better ID for your safe, you have two options available, you can dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations for the lock on your safe, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area.

Sorry the answer isn't better, but if combinations were easily accessible, they wouldn't be very safe.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)