Locksmithing/Antique Metal Filing Cabinet

Question
Office Spec Mfg
Office Spec Mfg  

Office Spec Mfg
Office Spec Mfg  
Hi there,
We bought this filing cabinet at an auction 6 months ago because we loved the art deco kind of look but when we went to pick it up it took 4 people.  It is unbelievably heavy and I wondered if there was a safe built in somewhere.  The top has 2 small pull out drawers and in the middle is a small door and when opened has a brass handle that you can turn.  I hear a "thunk" when I turn it but I cannot figure it out.  It is stamped on the side "Office Specialty Manufacturing Company Limited" and I know they operated from the late 1800s until 1950s or so in Newmarket Ontario.  (we have all the drawers but some are out in the pic as we just tried to move it again but we don't have a key to lock it).  Do you know anything about this cabinet and why it is so darn heavy?

Answer
Hi Sandra,

First off, let me say that office equipment and specifically "filing cabinets" is not one of my areas of expertise - I deal in safes & vaults.

As far as your question concerning the weight of the cabinet - weight is determined by material and construction.   Without seeing the actual cabinet or having info concerning how it was made, I can't answer the question of weight.

Weight - by itself is a "VERY" subjective term.   To most people (90%+) 300 to 400 lbs is relatively heavy.  You can't lift it, and it is difficult to move.   In my profession - LIGHT weight is below 1500 lbs, Medium weight is 1500-5000 lbs, Heavy weight is 5000 to 10,000 lbs and super heavy is above that weight.    For someone who moves houses & buildings (for example) Light weight may be below 10,000 lbs.

So "HEAVY" would be relative to your perception of how much weight impresses you.    To me, this cabinet would be a light weight container.

Your cabinet does not appear to be an insulated (fire resistive) cabinet, so based on the thickness of the walls, I would have to guess that it is made of sheet steel.    Steel basically weighs around 42 lbs per square foot, 1" thick.   So if the walls of the container are 1/2" thick steel, you could calculate the weight based on 21 lbs per square foot.

Assuming that your container is 48"t x 18"w x 24"d and constructed of 1/2" steel, this would give you a weight of about 900 lbs.    Obviously if sizes are different, or construction material is different, the weight would vary.

The item I find interesting would be the inner compartment, behind the small door.   If this door doesn't open when the handle is turned, and/or the handle doesn't turn, as there is no "lock" on the door, this would indicate a possible hidden latch or release mechanism.

Again, as I mentioned, as this is outside of my area of expertise, I can't give you a possible age or any other info about it.   I would recommend that you find someone who specializes in antique or collectible "office equipment" to discuss this with or to find out more info.

Sorry, that I can't be of more help.    Hope I've given you at least a little info.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)