Locksmithing/Diebold Insulated Filing Device

Question
I recently purchased a home that had a large safe left in the basement. It is a Diebold safe and the previous owner said it was a laboratory safe. It opens on the top and the top slides to the front of the safe. It has two plaques below the Diebold Incorporated name. One says Safe Manufacturer National Association - Insulated Ledger Tray and one says Underwriters Laboratories, Inc - Inspected Insulated Filing Device. The whole safe is on wheels. I was curious if these safes are at all valuable and if it was worth trying to sell. I have several pictures that I can email to you for more reference.

Answer
Hi Meredith,

First off, there is no such thing as a "laboratory" safe.    While it may have been used by a laboratory, it was not made specifically for that use.    Safes are ONLY made with two purposes in mind - to protect documents and items from "FIRE", and to protect valuables from theft.   This gives us three basic types of safes - fire resistive safes, burglary resistive safes and composite safes which offer both fire and burglary protection.

The "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA) and "Underwriters Laboratories" (UL) are simply "Standards Testing Agencies".   They both developed levels or "STANDARDS" for both fire and burglary resistance.   Depending on which levels of protection that the tested safes meet, will allow manufacturers to place a label on all similarly made subsequent safes until the next testing or model line.

In this case, as you have noticed your container is an "Inspected, Insulated Filing Device" and NOT a safe.    Regardless of if it has a combination lock on it or not, this is and only will be considered an insulated filing cabinet and NOT a safe.

As for value, while I would be more than happy to look at your container to see what you have, and to answer any specific questions that you may have about it, I can already tell you, without looking at it the following values:

Fire Resistance:     $0     As this container is OVER 50 years old it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance.
Burglary resistance: $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive container.
Resale value:        $0     This container has no commercial or retail value.   It should not be used for overnight storage of ANY cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique:          $0     This is not over 100 years old and is not an antique.
Collectible:         $0     As this container is considered simply "office equipment", unless you are collecting office equipment it has no value.

While it doesn't have value under any of the above categories, this doesn't mean that it has no value.   As mentioned while it does not meet current standards for fire resistance this doesn't mean that it won't provide some level of fire protection.   I personally have a couple similar containers which are both from the 1950's, which I use for storage of items which I want to provide with a measure of fire resistance, but which are also easy to replace and not extremely valuable.    As long as YOU understand what its limitations are and use it accordingly, I'm sure that it will have value to you as well.

If your goal is to sell it, while I'm sure that you can ask any amount that you wish for the container, and I'm sure that for the right price some will be willing to take it off your hands, for all practical purposes it has no value under any of the above categories mentioned.

One good note though, which usually at this point I'm still bringing the bad news for similar containers, this container does not use any asbestos as an insulation media, so this should not be of any concern to yourself or anyone you might sell it to.

hope this helps, if you have any additional, specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)