Locksmithing/Diebold safe

I have a Diebold safe I don't know much about and am trying to get a value estimate.  It's about a 12 inch cube and is Size (Cat No. 12425).  It says SPEC B! and has 36398 stamped on the top right.  It also says S.M.N.A Group 3.  The lock works and it's in good condition.  Any information you have would be appreciated.  Thanks

Hi Shannon,

Your safe is a burglary resistive, round door money chest, manufactured during the 1940's and 50's, up to the early 1960's.
The SMNA specification "B" indicates the burglary resistive chest.
The SMNA classification "Group 3" indicates the round door, with a minimum body thickness of 1" of steel and a minimum door thickness of 1-1/2" of steel.

While these containers still meet current standards for burglary, they are obsolete as parts are no longer available, and it is not a style that customers currently use.    It has no commercial or retail value, and is not collectible.    As it is not over 100 years old it is not an antique either.

While it has no values under any of the above categories, doesn't mean that it has no value.   As long as YOU keep it serviced and operational it is a good burglary resistive chest.

A new safe about the same size which would offer similar protection could easily run in the $1000 to $1500, however this safe is no where near that value as a used, obsolete unit.    Value would be what you can get for it, but if it were in my shop, it would be marked between $200 to $500 (depending on how fast I wanted it to go away).

Hope this helps.   If you have any "specific" questions let me know.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)