Locksmithing/Diebold safe

Question
front
front  

plate
plate  
I have a Diebold safe I don't know much about and am trying to get a value estimate.  It's about a 12 inch cube and is Size (Cat No. 12425).  It says SPEC B! and has 36398 stamped on the top right.  It also says S.M.N.A Group 3.  The lock works and it's in good condition.  Any information you have would be appreciated.  Thanks

Answer
Hi Shannon,

Your safe is a burglary resistive, round door money chest, manufactured during the 1940's and 50's, up to the early 1960's.
The SMNA specification "B" indicates the burglary resistive chest.
The SMNA classification "Group 3" indicates the round door, with a minimum body thickness of 1" of steel and a minimum door thickness of 1-1/2" of steel.

While these containers still meet current standards for burglary, they are obsolete as parts are no longer available, and it is not a style that customers currently use.    It has no commercial or retail value, and is not collectible.    As it is not over 100 years old it is not an antique either.

While it has no values under any of the above categories, doesn't mean that it has no value.   As long as YOU keep it serviced and operational it is a good burglary resistive chest.

A new safe about the same size which would offer similar protection could easily run in the $1000 to $1500, however this safe is no where near that value as a used, obsolete unit.    Value would be what you can get for it, but if it were in my shop, it would be marked between $200 to $500 (depending on how fast I wanted it to go away).

Hope this helps.   If you have any "specific" questions let me know.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)