Locksmithing/Meilink G 9 series - have combo! cant open

Question
MeilinkG9
MeilinkG9  
Hi Andy!
I recently moved into an apartment that has a wall safe in the bedroom. It has 50 numbers (no zero on it). On the dial it says:
Meilink G 9
8167
Toledo, Ohio

The landlord claims they were able to open it before, and he provided me with the combination. I've tried it several times and no luck.

Here is, verbatim, the instructions written down on a piece of paper from 1986 that the landlord provided:
Move dial twice around
Left to 19
Right to 10 (sort of)
Left to 44 (should hear a click)
Right to 36
Move dial left and then open

That's all it said. And just to be clear, parenthesis aren't mine, they were on the paper.

I feel like the turning sequence must be wrong, or the combo might not make sense, as I noted on some of your other answers all Meilink G-series began with an even number, and mine supposedly begins with a 19?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Answer
Hi Sammy Joe,

First lets run over the most apparent problems - there are ONLY three reasons a safe lock won't open - in order, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.  Mechanical problems.

I'll start with number 1.    People tend to pass along combinations the way that "THEY" understand them, and NOT necessarily the way the lock actually works.    As long as you make the same dialing errors that the previous owner does, then the lock might (or should) open.   HOWEVER, if you DON'T make the same errors, or if you introduce your own interpretations into the sequence, then chances of it working are also pretty slim.

Second item would be the combination.   The lock on this door only has a total of three wheels, chances are the last number (36) is simply a reference point, especially if they were dialing it wrong or if it has a mechanical problem.

I checked the listing that I have for the G9 series, and don't find this combination anywhere.   That doesn't mean that it couldn't have been changed at some point, it just means that it isn't a factory number for this series.    The closest combo I found in the series is:  (20-18-44), so the "10" MAY have been an 18 at some point.  Note:  NONE of the factory combinations listed for this any series has an odd number in it.

The correct dialing sequence should be the following:    (using YOUR numbers)

3 times left to the first number, (19)
2 times right to the second number, (10)
1 time right to the third number, (44)     (the wheels should be lined up and the lever engaged at this point)
Turn right until the dial stops (may be around 36, though this is not part of your combination as much as a reference point.   (this last "partial turn" retracts the bolt work).    If the dial comes to a full & complete stop, but the door won't open, it may be jammed or you may have other issues.

If this doesn't work, then you can try the series for this door, starting with 28-26-2, and adding two to each number until you have a total of 22 separate combinations.    Test them using the above dialing sequence to see if they will open the door.
While this should work, again if the combination has ever been changed, it may have been varied and is NOT following the series sequence.   If this is the case, you basically have a lot of possible combinations that you might have to try.

Your other option would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company check it out.  (NOT a locksmith).

Try this and let me know whether or not it works.

Good luck.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)