Locksmithing/Moving a Diplomat MC-350 safe.

Do you know how to remove this safe without wrecking it?  It has some sort of 'clip-in' base plate that is bolted to the (concrete) floor.  It is possible to lift the safe an inch or so to see underneath and you can see the mounting bolt so cutting the bolts is a possibility. You can also see where the safe attaches to the mounting plate. There is a thick pin going from the safe to the mounting plate that is in a slot that appears open at the back. The whole safe will slide backwards about an inch over the plate but then comes to a stop. Perhaps there is some secondary retaining mechanism that needs to be released.

Hi Jeff,

The Diplomat safes did not come from the factory with a clip-in base to lock it down.    This would have been an after market item for a little security.    

Obviously without actually seeing your arrangement, all I can do is speculate based on the plates that I have seen.

In general this would be a two part plate - one that bolts to the bottom of the safe, and the second that would bolt or anchor to the floor.     The safe would then be rolled or slid into place, marrying the two halves, one of which would have some locking posts, and the other having some spring loaded levers, which when in place, would lock the two halves together.

The problem with removing the container is that all two to four locking levers would need to be released at the same time to slide the halves apart.

My recommendation would be to obtain an inspection camera similar to this:

You can then scope it out to determine exactly how it is locked in place, without destroying it or the safe.

Once unlocked, the two plates can be unbolted or moved to a new location and locked down again.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)