Locksmithing/need key

Question
I HAVE A VICTOR TREASURE CHEST SAFE.  I HAVE 1 KEY. CAN A LOCK SMITH MAKE A DUPLICATE KEY? IT LOOKS ALOT LIKE A SKELATON KEY.

Answer
Hi Rose,

The short answer SHOULD be "YES", however, while you would expect most locksmiths to have undergone some type of apprenticeship training, and to have a working knowledge of locks and how to make keys by hand, the opposite is true.

Unfortunately the majority of the locksmiths available today are little more than trained monkeys - their attitude is to "take off what doesn't work and put on a new one".    This doesn't necessarily mean that they have any training at all.

While that works great in some cases, it doesn't work for a customer with a possibly antique, or at least a collectible type chest, where parts are NOT available.

This means that the locksmith or safe technician has to have the training and skills to either make a key or to duplicate a key that will work in your lock.

My recommendation is for you to contact a reputable locksmith shop that HAS been in business for a number of years, and that has a brick and mortar type shop.    In general this group of locksmith will have more training, and the capabilities of working on your lock with the premise that your lock and keys are NOT replaceable.

Bottom line (long answer), you will have to check with your local locksmiths to determine if you have one locally that CAN make or duplicate a key for your lock.    If the locksmiths could do it 100 years ago, the locksmiths today SHOULD be able to also.

hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)