After cutting
After cutting  

eBay pic of similar safe
eBay pic of similar sa  
Hello. I found a Meilink Steel Safe Toledo Hercules fireproof safe in a new home garage.
Prior to discarding we cut into it to see if we could get inside. As we cut through the steel we cut some material that caused a lot of dust to circulate. I am concerned that it could be asbestos. Do you have any information about these safes and it the material could indeed be asbestos.  
Thank you

Hi Eli,

Good news, the Meilink safe Company never, ever used asbestos as an insulation material.    While you don't have to worry about THIS particular HAZMAT item, that doesn't mean that there may not have been other items in the insulation which you shouldn't breath, which is why you should always wear a dust mask or respirator with ANY item that will make a dust or vapor which may be inhaled.   but as far as HAZMAT toxins in the dust, I wouldn't be worried about it.

If you have specific questions about the materials you may want to contact FireKing International as they now own Meilink, to find out if they have a listing of any materials in the container.    You WILL need the serial number of the container for them.

You can contact them at:

or by calling them at  800-427-2424   and asking to speak to their customer services.

You can also have the material tested (if you still have it) by calling a local HAZMAT testing agency, or by obtaining a sampling kit and submitting it for testing.    You can obtain test kits at most Home Depots, Lowe's,  Ace Hardware, CVS Pharmacies and other locations or by going to:

hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)