Locksmithing/Papae33@aol.com

Question
After cutting
After cutting  

eBay pic of similar safe
eBay pic of similar sa  
Hello. I found a Meilink Steel Safe Toledo Hercules fireproof safe in a new home garage.
Prior to discarding we cut into it to see if we could get inside. As we cut through the steel we cut some material that caused a lot of dust to circulate. I am concerned that it could be asbestos. Do you have any information about these safes and it the material could indeed be asbestos.  
Thank you

Answer
Hi Eli,

Good news, the Meilink safe Company never, ever used asbestos as an insulation material.    While you don't have to worry about THIS particular HAZMAT item, that doesn't mean that there may not have been other items in the insulation which you shouldn't breath, which is why you should always wear a dust mask or respirator with ANY item that will make a dust or vapor which may be inhaled.   but as far as HAZMAT toxins in the dust, I wouldn't be worried about it.

If you have specific questions about the materials you may want to contact FireKing International as they now own Meilink, to find out if they have a listing of any materials in the container.    You WILL need the serial number of the container for them.

You can contact them at:

http://www.fireking.com/meilink-safes
or by calling them at  800-427-2424   and asking to speak to their customer services.

You can also have the material tested (if you still have it) by calling a local HAZMAT testing agency, or by obtaining a sampling kit and submitting it for testing.    You can obtain test kits at most Home Depots, Lowe's,  Ace Hardware, CVS Pharmacies and other locations or by going to:

http://www.prolabinc.com/asbestos-test-kits.asp

hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)