Locksmithing/Rekeying a kwikset door knob.

James. I served in maintenance since 1963 in various places and took a locksmiths course to help in that working environment.  I retired 20 years ago and belonged to the Missouri Locksmithing Assoc. for a time.  I have rekeyed Kiwkset all along, (as well as other brands),  but have not done one since I retired and my mind does not work like it use too. I have the keys, etc. but can not get the cylinder out of the knob.  I have the main stem shaft out lying on the bench, but the cylinder will not come out of the knob, so I know I have forgotten something and need some help.  What have I forgot???? PS - I still have all my  pins, etc, from all those years ago, and my pins are over 30 years old.  And unfortunately I am also 30 years older....
I will certainly appreciate your help...  Dale Volskay -

Sorry for the delay in getting to you.

Your issue depends on the type of Kwikset.

The Grade 3 Kwikset locks are fairly simple to disassemble but the Grade 2 can be slightly more complicated.

Here is a link to a video I made to show the Grade 3:

On the Grade 2 knob locks (levers are different), first remove the spindle then insert a working key and turn the cylinder until the key is upside-down then pull.  The cylinder should come out.  Rekey, reinsert, reinstall spindle.

Good luck,

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.