Locksmithing/spec F-2-ND safe combination

I have inherited a safe that is inside a wooden cabinet.  The only other numbers I found on it are 4y522185

It was purchased originally at ES Howard Co Oswego New York.

The problem is that there is no trace of a combination for the lock.

It is incredibly heavy and I am unable to move it.  Is there any way of locating the combination?  If not, is there any way of resetting it or in some way making it usable?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hi Barbara,

Sorry but there is not going to be any records of combinations.    Manufacturer's never published this info for obvious security and liability reasons.

Lets go over the info that you have - which in no way identifies your safe.

ES Howard Company, was a distributor and NOT a manufacturer.

The Safe Manufacturers National Association label (SMNA) that you have information referred from - was a testing agency only, and had nothing to do with the actual manufacturer either.   The tag ONLY indicates the STANDARD that the safe was built to.    In this case you have a specification "F2-ND" which would indicate a "fire resistive FILING CABINET", and NOT a safe.   even though it may have a combination lock, this does NOT make it a safe.

If the container is NOT open, then you would need to have a safe technician from a local safe company open it, and recover or reset the combination for you.   Problem is the cost could easily be more than the container is worth.

As far as making it useable - unfortunately it also does NOT meet ANY current standards for fire resistance, and should NOT be used for any overnight storage of any valuable documents, cash or jewelry.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)