Locksmithing/Yale Safe Lock

Question
Yale
Yale  
Hi Andy, I just set up a Yale safe combination lock on test mount in order to check it out. I can't seem to find any other ones that look like this one. It appears quite old on the inside of the casing and the wheels and it is the type that requires a change key. It looks very similar to all the others I have seen online except this one has a type of lever on it and a cam. The lever and the fence are all the same piece but the lever is basically the same shape as the fence but larger and longer. It actually has part of "OC5" casted into one end of the bolt piece but it doesnt' look like other ones I have seen. It seems that someone has filed some parts to make them fit like the back cover and I thougt maybe it has mixed parts from different types of locks. Can you tell me what type of lock this is and what is proper dialing direction to open. I will try to send a picture.

Answer
Hi Dave,

Yes I have seen this particular Yale lock before, just not very often.    Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly which "model" this lock is either.    It is very similar to the OC5M series though which had a "gear drive, friction fence" as opposed to the spring actuated lever assembly on this one.   Also, yes, Yale did have several change key type locks, though their standard was the hand change.

Overall this lock looks in pretty good condition.

These locks were made and used from the 1920's through the 1940's, so the chance that someone has modified this particular lock is pretty good.

The proper dialing sequence for this lock is:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left until the dial stops (should be around 10)   Lock is open.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)