Locksmithing/Dominion Vault & Safe Co. Ltd. Niagara Falls safe

Question
Hi
We have a Dominion Safe in excellent condition and would like to sell it.
I'm having a hard time getting any information on the safe to properly price it.
It's measurements are 57 1/2 inches high x 22 1/2 inches wide x 24 7/4 inches deep.
Has adjustable shelves.
Two slide out drawers (one with a lock and original key. The other does not have a lock)
One locking cupboard with original key
Safe is in original condition (not ever been painted and has all the original Dominion Safe logos both inside and outside.
Metal plate with "Protector Safe Certified for One Hour" stamped on it.
Inside of door has a stamp giving Model #748
On outside of safe over the door there's a metal plate that reads "MB2365"
Would you have any information about this safe or know where I could get it?
Thanks
Sandy :)

Answer
Hi Sandy,

the Dominion Safe Company was a distributor and not a manufacturer.    They were in business from around the early 1900's (about 1916) until 1975.    They incorporated in 1959.

Safes sold by this company were manufactured by other companies and then repainted or labeled for advertising purposes.

As your safe indicates "Protector", it would have been made between the early 1940's up through the late 1950's to early 1960's, and is possibly manufactured by Mosler - though I will need to actually see what you have to try to determine and/or answer specific questions about your container.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)