Locksmithing/Door latch that latches but then can be pushed open without turning knob

Question
Bedroom door in 1920 built house with glass door knob used to latch, sometimes stick. Had to lock a large cat in this room and because the door is not a tight fit, he was able to rattle door by reaching under neath and pulling. Now the door latches but can be pushed open with a strong push or sometimes a light push without turning knob. But since it will actually latch and usually stays closed if not pushed, is that an alignment problem or is it the hinges? The top hinge  is not set in as close to the frame as the bottom I noticed.  Very old painted hinges.  Any advice ?

Answer
Hello Kay,

Check the strike on the frame where the latch goes into.  If you see wear on the strike that is not in line with the hole, the alignment is off so the strike needs adjustment or replacement.

Sometimes the strike shows no wear because the latch is going into the hole and is lined up but there isn't enough room horizontally for it to go into the hole fully.  This can be adjusted as well with a file.

The gap difference is likely the cause but generally difficult to adjust so adjusting the strike is generally the best option.

James

Locksmithing

James