Locksmithing/Lost safe key

Hello, I own a Saga SAF-D-POSIT model 1145 safe...I have the combo but lost the key. Is there a way too get a new one? I can't even find this company online.
If i need a locksmith, does that render the safe useless going forward?

Hi Richard,

In answer to your questions - "yes - no - no"

Now for the long answer - yes this company has been out of business for 20 plus years, so contacting them is going to be difficult, unless you have perfected time travel.

Getting new keys requires lock disassembly and hand fitting a key to it.    If the container is locked up, the lock will have to be picked to open it, then it can be removed and keys fit.

As for needing a locksmith, and having it rendered useless - that would depend on who you get to work on it, and you have three problems here.   First finding a locksmith who can pick the lock, Second, finding a locksmith that has the key blanks, and Third, finding a locksmith who can make a key by hand.

Unfortunately many of the locksmiths around today, especially the mobile ones do not have these skills.    To illustrate this - a friend of mine with a $250,000 motor home, got locked out recently.   Three different locksmiths that he called ALL indicated that "picking locks" was just a movie thing and they didn't do it.    They were basically going to use a pry bar to "rip" his door open to get him in, causing several thousand dollars in damages.    

I told him NOT to let them work on it, and drove almost 2 hours to where he was located.   It only took me about 30 seconds to pick the lock on this door - and only that long as I picked it the wrong direction the first time.

I had a lady bring the same safe that you have into my shop last Thursday.   It took us about 5 minutes to pick the lock and remove it from the safe door.   She left the key lock with me so I could make new keys for it, and we then reinstalled it on Monday - cost was about $50 for everything.

So your homework assignment is to #1 - find a locksmith or safe company that CAN pick the lock to open the container up.   #2 - that will have the correct key blank and #3 - that can hand fit the key to the lock.

Note:   There is no American Equivilant to this key - in fact when we order it from our source, we have to refer to it as the "Korean Key Blank".    You can have your locksmith try the Taylor V61A (Volvo) key blank or the Ilco SY4 or SY8 (Security Corp) key blank.    The V61A is close but not quite tall enough, which may not be a problem unless your key has very shallow cuts.

Worst case would be to have the locksmith or safe company OPEN your safe and remove the lock - send it to me to make keys for it.    I would then send it back to you to have it reinstalled.

You would have to discuss the cost with your locksmith or safe company to have the safe picked open - NOT drilled!!!    If they can't do it, find someone else.  

I'm in Northern California if that helps, if you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)