Locksmithing/Safe Deposit Lock

QUESTION: I am trying to find the change for a HHM610 safe deposit lock, this change key is inserted into the back of the lock so you can program the renters side of the lock to a different precut key.
I'm not sure if this lock has been discontinued.

ANSWER: Hi Darius,

HHM went out of business in 1959 when it was acquired by Diebold during a bankruptcy.   Diebold was forced to close down the factory a few years later.

Any locks and/or parts that you find are going to be from before they were closed down, including any tools or change keys.    No one currently makes an after market tool for this lock.

Basically unless you want to change the renters side by hand, you would have to make a tool yourself.   

If you can't make a tool, then you would have to randomly set each lever by hand, and then hand make a key to fit it - either by observation of the levers, or by impressioning, or if you decode your lock set up, and have access to something similar to a Framon Key machine to originate a key from the code you obtained from the lock.

If you don't have these capabilities, you would need to send the lock into a company that has the ability to fabricate a key to fit the lock.

Sorry I wish the news was better - but this is what locksmithing is all about.    Hand fitting keys to locks or setting up locks to work with specifically cut keys.

Good luck with this one.

QUESTION: Do you know if HHM610 came with a neutral or set key for the renters side when it was produced.
Thanks for your help on this one.

In general, all replacement locks were provided with preset renter keys.  You might have to set the lock from a neutral setting to match the bank guard key.

Some of the newer resettable locks come with 2 renter keys, and some like the Diebold 175-70 don't.   

While I realize that this is a "general answer", and not mfg specific.   That's the best I can offer.   Unfortunately, HHM was out of business 12-13 years before I started in the business (I began in 1972), and I didn't deal with a lot of safe deposit box locks until the late 1970's.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)