Locksmithing/Safe Deposit Lock

Question
QUESTION: I am trying to find the change for a HHM610 safe deposit lock, this change key is inserted into the back of the lock so you can program the renters side of the lock to a different precut key.
I'm not sure if this lock has been discontinued.

ANSWER: Hi Darius,

HHM went out of business in 1959 when it was acquired by Diebold during a bankruptcy.   Diebold was forced to close down the factory a few years later.

Any locks and/or parts that you find are going to be from before they were closed down, including any tools or change keys.    No one currently makes an after market tool for this lock.

Basically unless you want to change the renters side by hand, you would have to make a tool yourself.   

If you can't make a tool, then you would have to randomly set each lever by hand, and then hand make a key to fit it - either by observation of the levers, or by impressioning, or if you decode your lock set up, and have access to something similar to a Framon Key machine to originate a key from the code you obtained from the lock.

If you don't have these capabilities, you would need to send the lock into a company that has the ability to fabricate a key to fit the lock.

Sorry I wish the news was better - but this is what locksmithing is all about.    Hand fitting keys to locks or setting up locks to work with specifically cut keys.

Good luck with this one.

QUESTION: Do you know if HHM610 came with a neutral or set key for the renters side when it was produced.
Thanks for your help on this one.

Answer
Darius,

In general, all replacement locks were provided with preset renter keys.  You might have to set the lock from a neutral setting to match the bank guard key.

Some of the newer resettable locks come with 2 renter keys, and some like the Diebold 175-70 don't.   

While I realize that this is a "general answer", and not mfg specific.   That's the best I can offer.   Unfortunately, HHM was out of business 12-13 years before I started in the business (I began in 1972), and I didn't deal with a lot of safe deposit box locks until the late 1970's.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)