Locksmithing/hon cabinet

Hi James

I put the wrong key in our Hon file cabinet and now I cannot remove the key from the lock - it did not open my drawers either.  Normally the wrong key does not fit so not a problem but today it went in but will not come back out.  Any ideas?

Hello Irene,

If it went in it will come out but if you had to force it in, it can be difficult to remove it without damaging the lock.

Make sure the key is in the zero position - that is the position it was in when you inserted the key.  With pliers, grab the key and pull straight out.  Don't try to turn or bend the key while pulling as it could break.

If it doesn't come out you'll have to hire a local locksmith.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.