Locksmithing/Ideal Security Double Sided deadbolt

Question
I have a very old double sided deadbolt (Ideal Security brand) on my door. We broke the key off in it & need to remove it. It has no visible screws, but there is a notch next to the piece the key goes into on the inside face of the door. Can you tell me how to remove the deadbolt to get the broken part of the key that's in there without damaging it so we can still use it? As well, would we need to align it when putting it back on &, if so, how do we do that?

Answer
Karen,

If the key broke off on the inside and you can still operate the lock from the inside you're in luck.

First option: use a small drill bit - 1/16" or so - and manually thread it into the ley hole next to the broken key then pull straight out.  Do NOT use a drill.

Option 2: Turn the key cylinder (the part the key goes into) until it stops then insert a strong piece of metal into the slot that is open (one should open when you turn the cylinder).  Push hard until it releases the retainer pin then pull the assembly off - you may or may not feel the retainer release.  If that doesn't work, turn the key the other direction and try the other hole.

Option 3: call a locksmith and have them remove it then remove the broken key and reinstall it.

Before you try option 2 I'd advise purchasing a new deadbolt in case you can't get the old one back on.

You might want to replace the lock regardless of the outcome:
1: double cylinder deadbolts are a life / safety hazard because you can't exit if it's locked without a key; and
2: your lock is no longer made, parts are not available and your broken key might be a sign of wear in the lock which could cause future issues and further life / safety concerns.

James

Locksmithing

James