Locksmithing/jammed/broken dead latch/bolt

Question
door dead latch
door dead latch  
QUESTION: Hi James:  I have a door knob on the door from garage leading to the backyard that is jammed. I removed the knobs from both the inside and outside.  What's left is the dead latch (picture attached) and it's clearly jammed. i've tried to forcefully push the dead latch sideways using phillips and WD40 but was unsuccessful. I've tried to remove the entire door by undoing the hinges but there is sufficient space to move the door out of its frame. I've also sliding a bendable ruler into the door bolt area but the bolt seems fixed. Someone suggested I saw the bolt but this seems improbable given how thick the metal material is. Please advise

ANSWER: Hello Tri,

I generally get a hammer and cold chisel at this point and destroy the latch via the large hole in the door.  It may damage the door if you aren't careful so take your time but it will come apart.  Once it does you can manually retract the latch with pliers or a screwdriver to open the door.

James

QUESTION: thank you again James for your suggestion. Two follow up questions. (1) is there anything in particular you'd recommend when using the cold chisel so as to not damage the door? (2) I noticed that when I tried moving the latch at the section closest to the bolt, it wouldn't move; this suggests that perhaps the bolt may not move even if I chisel down the bulk of the dead latch.

Answer
The cold chisel will allow you to destroy the mechanism. Once that is out of the way the latch should be simple to remove.

Just don't chisel to the point where the chisel goes onto the door and you should be fine. I usually use a small flat one along with some pliers to twist and pull the parts out.

James

Locksmithing

James