Locksmithing/key/blank for SAF-D-POSIT Model 1145

Question
I have a SAF-D-POSIT Model 1145 which I bought new many years ago, and have been using for all the past many year without problem.  I have the original paperwork, combination, and key.  I wanted to buy a key/blank for a back-up key.  Where and for how much can I buy keys/blanks?  Thanks.

Answer
Hi Ed,

Generally you can't buy "key blanks" (uncut keys), as locksmiths and safe companies don't sell them.

If you want to get a copy of your made as a back up key, you should be able to get this done at any real locksmith shop and most safe companies.    Key cutters like Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. probably are not going to have the correct blank to cut it.

I would need to see either an existing key or the lock face (key hole) to determine what key blank you need to ask for, but I'm pretty sure that the blank is an ILCO SY4.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)