Locksmithing/Meilink Safe combination

I have a meilink safe, 14"x12.5"x15", the door is open but I don't know the combo. I took the back off the door, got the box opened up to the number gears and want to know how to either reset the combination or figure out the original combination. Would you be able to help me with either of these?

Hi Dan,

I don't normally recommend this type of work as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using a locksmith for safe work.    Lack of knowledge, training and tools can easily result in a very expensive lock out.    Cost to open and repair the safe including parts could easily be in the $350 to $600 range if you make even a simple mistake.

I would recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe company perform the necessary maintenance and resetting of the lock.   This gives you two options, you can have the safe tech come to you - or you can remove the door and take it to the safe company.
If they come to you, you will have a trip fee and a labor charge - should be around $100-$200 depending on the amount of work necessary to reassemble the lock correctly and reset or recover the combo.

If you take the door in to them, it would cost between $25 to $100 to do the same work.

While I can provide you with basic combination changing instructions and/or tools, I will need to know exactly what lock is installed on your safe so that I can make sure to get you the correct ones - yes there are a lot of different ones!    Cost including shipping and handling fees is about $50 for the instructions and tools.

NOTE:   The instructions are based on the fact that YOU already know the existing combinations.   They do not go into lock disassembly and/or resetting for an unknown combination.    This would be included in basic safe servicing training which is about a week long course and has a prerequisite that you have to already be a locksmith.     I don't provide this type of instruction or training through emails.

So in answer to your basic question, I can provide you instructions for changing the combination, however I would recommend that your best bet would be to simply take the door off the hinges, and take it in to a local safe company for service.    You are guaranteed that it will be set correctly and that everything will work afterwards.    Generally most services like this also come with a 90 day service warranty, however you would need to check on this with your safe company.

Hope this helps.    If you still want to get the changing tool and instructions, please send an email request to me at:   along with a photo of the lock (not the dial).     I have a hold harmless form which I need signed before I can release the tool and instructions.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)