Locksmithing/Roxky Mountain gun safe

Question
I have someone on the way here from Fla to get family guns and cant get the safe open..The red light is on but it doesn't click when I enter the combination. Is there anyway u can tell me if the door has to be open to change batteries

Answer
Hi Ann,

well you haven't given me any useful info to go from so I'm not sure what help I can be.

I have no idea what a "Roxky Mountain Gun Safe" is, so I would assume that you mean "Rocky Mountain Gun Safe".    Still, this is not the name of a safe manufacturer, it is probably just a logo that someone is selling the safes under.   Without knowing the manufacturer of the safe, I have little to go on.

Next problem, safe manufacturers generally do not also manufacturer their own locks.   About the only current exception to this would be AMSEC.    Again as you have not given me any info concerning the manufacturer or model of the lock on your safe, I have little to go on.   You also didn't include any photos of the lock for me to look at.

In general the majority of the electronic locks on the market have the batteries under the key pad, so that they can be accessed easily to be changed and so that you don't get locked out of your safe simply due to bad batteries.
Access to the battery compartment WILL be determined by the model and manufacturer of the lock.   Some have battery access trays or covers, some have to have the key pad removed.    Sargent & Greenleaf key pads will either have a tray or the whole keypad will pull off straight towards you.    LaGard key pads will have either an access door under the bottom of the front of the key pad, or the whole keypad will slide up the face of the safe about 3/8" and then come off into your hand.   AMSEC ESL type key pads, rotate counter clockwise about 1/8th turn and then will come off.     Various other manufacturers have their own methods of accessing the batteries.

If you cannot identify the actual safe manufacturer - or better yet the manufacturer and/or model of the lock, then I would recommend that you either contact the company you bought the safe from to find out what you have and how to access the batteries, or you may need to have a safe technician from a local safe company come out to change them.    While I realize that this could be a very expensive battery change, the alternative is that you get frustrated and do something foolish like taking a hammer to the key pad thinking that you will either get it off or get the safe open.    If this happens, THEN you are going to be faced with a VERY expensive bill to open and repair the safe.

Bottom line, either you need to get more info for me to try to help you, or you need to contact the company you purchased the safe from to get more info, or you need to have a visit from the safe tech!

Sorry I don't have a better answer at this time.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)