Locksmithing/Sentry Safe

Question
We have a Sentry Safe,model #DS5781, Serial # AW575736. I am unable to open the safe. It has no lights on. I changed the batteries a few months ago and have checked them and they are fine.

Answer
Hi Sandra,

There is a reason that the majority of real safe & lock companies around the country do not sell Sentry safes - unfortunately you have found out the hard way what that reason is.     Big box stores, hardware stores, Home Depot, Sears, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Costco and other sell them because they are "cheap" (inexpensive), and in their minds customers are not interested in buying quality products.

My first recommendation is that you contact Sentry Safe's customer service to see if they can help you over the phone - however if the electronics are dead, there may be little that can be done to revive them.   Generally mechanical problems - like your safe - WILL require hands on solutions.

Contact info:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/CustomerCare/
800-828-1438

Now for the bad news - Cost to have the safe opened - with no repairs - could easily cost more than your safe is worth.    Even if it can be opened easily, repair parts (again), may cost more than it is worth.

You may want to check with a local safe company to see what options they have for you.    If you were in my area, I would open the safe for free "IF" you purchased a new safe.    At least with this option, you aren't paying  lot of money to have a container opened but not having it repaired.

Again, just to make sure that we have covered the basics, "IF" the batteries are NEW and fully charged, and the electronics are dead, then the safe may need to be drilled.    Cost to open AND repair the safe could cost more than the safe is worth.

Sorry, I wish the news was better, but in this case - if the lock is dead (not functioning), then you may need to come up with a plan B or C as plan "A", get the safe opened, may not leave it operational.

Bottom line - "IF" the manufacturer can't help you out, then you "WILL" need to have a safe tech from a local safe company, work on it.    Note:  if your safe is small enough, you can take it to their shop, and save the cost of a mobile service charge (trip fee).  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)