Locksmithing/Hall & Marvin

Hi Andy,

I own a former bank building that includes two Herring, Hall & Marvin vault doors. They're similar in look to a posting that a Danny sent you back in 2009. Do you know of any interested in these doors?

While there is occasional interest in older vault type doors, generally most buyers don't become "really" interested unless they have been removed, cleaned and are ready for sale or installation.
Unless you have some place to warehouse the doors and display them, selling them can be very difficult.

Doors that are currently installed have a number of negatives attached that cause most potential buyers to flee rather quickly.

Costs to remove the doors can sometimes involve construction permits and demolition costs.  Obviously how a door is removed WILL depend on the type of door and how it is installed.   Doors which are grouted in place may require a concrete cutting company to remove the door and specialized equipment to lay it down and move it.   Most buyers and sellers don't want to get stuck with these costs, so it can be difficult.

Unless you actually have a buyer that is motivated to remove a door, generally the building owner has to absorb all of the costs of removing the door.

Generally when we are approached about doors like this, we charge to remove them for disposal.   We may elect to clean them up and keep them for resale, however we don't pay for them.

Sorry, I wish the answer was better, but installed doors are kind of like trying to sell your house, but you plan on keeping the property and the buyer must move the house to a new lot.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)