Locksmithing/Identify Old wall safe?

Question
Safe
Safe  
There's an old safe in my house I've never opened. I just found the key but the whole things too rusty to open, even after using WD40 and graphite powder. I've never seen a safe quite like this and I'm not sure what it's called. If you could identify it and give me any tips to open it that would be great. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Charlotte,

First off, I "NEVER" recommend using WD-40 or graphite powder as a lock lubricant.   Graphite just takes up a bunch of space that the lock needs to operate in.   WD-40 was designed as a water displacement chemical - not a lubricant.

If the lock is bound up and/or doesn't operate correctly, I would suggest using something more like Tri-Flow, which is a Teflon lubricant, to flush out debris and provide some lubrication.

If the key turns, but won't retract the locking bolts, I would try a "Dead Blow" type of hammer, to try to loosen the door and retract the bolt work.   You would need to rap on the door while trying to turn the key.   Obviously if the key is bending - stop!   It won't do any good to break the key.   In fact I would recommend having several copies made, so that you have fresh keys to work with while playing around with it.

As far as a possibly manufacturer - sorry but I don't have any info on a door like this.   The closest thing I could find would be either a single or dual bolt door by Security Wall Safe Company.  This company was eventually taken over by John D. Brush & Company, which eventually became the Sentry Group (Sentry safes).    Once open, I might be able to give you a better ID.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)