Locksmithing/Interior Lock Cary Safe

Question
lock
lock  
I have a Cary Safe with an interior door lock that has not been locked for years due to a lost key.
It is now locked.
The nose of the lock will rotate 360 degrees.
There is a removable screw on the lock. I have removed the screw and taken a photo. There appears to be a spring loaded plunger of some sort. Can that be pushed into the safe and disable the lock or in order to gain access, must I contact a locksmith and if so - what questions should I ask to determine if the locksmith can do the job?

How can I gain access?

Answer
Hi Fuller,

I'm not sure how you managed to lock it.   Generally these locks are trapped when they are locked or unlocked, and the key is removed, meaning that you have to use the key to either lock or unlock it.

If it is locked closed, and you do not have a key, then you will need either a locksmith or safe technician who can open the lock without ruining it.    The lock can be picked open, however you may not have a locksmith or safe technician in your area with the skills.    Locksmiths these days do Not have the training that they had 20 or 40 years ago.    Mostly the locksmiths now a days are - "take old part off, put new part on".

You will have to discuss having the lock opened and keys made with locksmiths and safe technicians in your area to see if they are capable.    Just because they indicate they can open it, doesn't mean that they are competent, so you need to find out what they plan, and more importantly how much it is going to cost.

If they can't give you an up front price, then they may not know what they are doing.    While a "minimum" hourly wage isn't bad, you don't want to let them charge hourly and NOT have results in a reasonable amount of time - hourly charges mean they DON'T have an incentive to get it done.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)