Locksmithing/MacNeale&Urban Safe&Lock co.

Question
We Have a safe going into the History of West Museum. The outer doors are open. There is a safe inside the bottom with a-z on the dial. We are trying to figure out how to open it. We would like to know where to start, how many revolutions and direction to turn the dial to try to figure out the combination. We are going to give it a try to see if we get lucky, as well as make it a game for people to try to guess while visiting the museum. The safe belonged to T.M. (Thomas) West. Founder of West, Texas. If I need to send a picture, please let me know. I will have to take some.

Answer
Hi Chris,

Basically these locks which were proprietary locks made by MacNeale & Urban for their exclusive use, were basically a 4 wheel lock, the dialing sequence for these locks is:

4 times left to the first letter,
3 times right to the second letter,
2 times left to the third letter,
1 time right to the fourth letter.

Generally the excepted "rule", is locks set from the factory, were probably set with the last wheel set on "K", and the four letters many time spelled a four letter word ending with "K", like "bank", "lock", etc. - so it is worth while to test variations of this to try to come up with a combination that will work.

HOWEVER, that being said, if the lock was ever reset, the combination of letters could be rearranged to almost any combination.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual letter as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    Possible number of combinations is slightly more than 460,000 possibilities.

Good luck with your guessing game - "IF" you have the combination to the exterior safe door, you might try it on the interior chest as well.   Sometimes they were set on the same combination - depending on previous owners requirements.

If you are really desirous of opening the container, then I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician - who SHOULD also be familiar with this particular manufacturer and type of lock.    I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on most safes, much less antique safes.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)