Locksmithing/Medico lock

Question
I have a Medico deadbolt on my front door.  The lock is loosening up so needs to be tightened.  I know to use an Allen wrench to remove the thumbturn, but how I do I remove the thumbplate to access the screws?  I saw the wire holding the plate in place but am not sure how to remove it without scratching/damaging the plate.

Also, if the lock still functions is the security of the lock compromised when the screws are loose?

Thanks VERY much.

Answer
Yes, that wire ring is the part to remove.

I use an ice-pick type tool to get under one end of it then work it around.

If you're worried about scratches, use some masking tape on it.

Once you get the ring off, you can remove the plate by pulling on the masking tape.

The decrease in security comes from the outside being loose enough for someone to slide a pry bar beneath the lock.

Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno