Locksmithing/Victor Patent

I was given this safe that had been sitting around a shop for 40 years or so no one knows the combination. I am wondering what the sequence is for the safe. Also say if its 4L3R2L1R, i turn left four times to the number and i am turning 3 to the right for the second do i pass the first number 3 times then go to the number or pass it twice and go to the second number. I am trying to manipulate the lock. It has one handle which is the wheel as well,  on the handle is the Number 136426

Hi Joe,

Without seeing your safe, I'm going to have to make certain assumptions based on the serial number you've given me.    Victor made their own locks up until shortly after 1920 when they were acquired by the Safe Cabinet Company.

They had both two and three wheel locks, though the dialing sequence was pretty much the same.

I checked two safes out that were pretty close serial numbers to use as a reference.   137172 and 148040.   Both are four wheel locks with 100 number dials.

The correct dialing sequence is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (may be your last number - though this is ONLY a reference number and not actually part of the combination)

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.   After you have dialed a number - FORGET IT!   It is no longer of consideration.

For instance if your first number is 50, you will turn the dial counter clockwise - left, stopping the 4th time the number 50 arrives.   If your second number is 25, you would then turn the dial clockwise - right, stopping the 3rd time the number 25 arrives at the index mark..

As the lock also retracts the door bolts during the unlocking procedure, there is no separate handle.   When the lock lever engages the wheel pack, turn it clockwise until it has fully retracted the door bolts and the door opens.

While this lock is limited to the about 6600 actual combinations that can be set on it, from outside the safe, it would be very difficult to figure out the spacing and possibilities.   This means that using the dial as your reference point basically gives you 1,000,000 possibilities.

Good luck with your endeavors.    Hope you don't give up on it, but if you can't get it open, then my next recommendation would be to have you contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open it up.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)