Have an CD X09 that the dial won't spin on. The bolt 's retracted but the dial won't spin regardless of whether or not the life safety button is pushed in or out. Not sure if he lock the as installed with a lock on back cover pin

I have to drive two hours to get to the location. Didn't know if there were any troubleshooting tips I could pass along to the tenants to save myself a drive.
Any help is appreciated!

Hi Rob,

Generally mechanical problems require hands on diagnoses and problem solving.   A couple items that come to mind would be:

1.  The lock bolt is partially retracted/extended.

The "Life Safety Button" can only be activated while the LOCK BOLT and the DEAD BOLT are fully retracted.
If they can't go into this mode, it would indicate that something is interfering with the lock operation.   As long as the lock drive cam, motor and rack are engaged and the lock bolt partially retracted, you won't be able to spin the dial to fully lock the lock.

2.  Check the strike release bolt

If the strike release is working correctly, depressing it should release the deadbolt and the lock bolt.   If this item won't move or won't release the deadbolt, then you have a starting point for your problem solving.

When closing the CDX-09, the dead bolt will not extend until the release bolt hits the door strike - correctly - as the door closes.

3.   Something wrong inside the lock.  

Throughout the life of a lock, there are maintenance items that DO need regular inspection, like mounting screws, etc.    Doors tend to get slammed quite frequently, so it is not unheard of for a screw to become loose, possibly getting into the lock assembly.    This may keep the lock from opening, and it also may prevent the lock from closing.
Unfortunately - having a lock like the X-09, which utilizes an LOBC pin, may be a problem, as the lock needs to be in the locked position, prior to dialing the combination, and retracting the lock bolt.
If the problem is an internal problem - loose screw or something blocking the lock operation or bolt extension, then the pin will have to be drilled out to allow removal of the back cover and access to the lock.

My guess without seeing the lock or having it my hot little hands, is that you either have a problem with the lock bolt / dead bolt interaction area, or something inside the lock is causing a problem with proper lock operation.

Wish I could offer more help, but as stated - this is going to be a hands on problem.

Hope this helps.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)