Locksmithing/Alled Gary safe CVS C3221

MY husband and I do storage lockers for 7 years now yes like on tv. and we found a big safe in the locker it is Alled Gary CVS C3221 I saw you talk about one on your web site, We have proff positive we got it out of a storage locker the manager can attest to that. for a year now we cannot figure out how to get it open husband was going to burn the bottom but the safe is in excellent condition and iwould hate to ruin it or distroy anything inside we really want to get it open i called lock smiths and they want $500 to open and then the safe may be distroyed can you please tell me if you have no key or combination and can prove you bought it. is there a way to reset the combination or open without damaging the safe. please help cant wait to get into it to see if anything inside(probably not but have to know) thank you for any information. Sue

Hi Sue,

As this manufacturer has been out of business since the 1980's, the original combo and/or keys are not going to be available.    Combinations can ONLY be reset "IF" the safe door is currently open.    If you have no combination, then it will need to be opened first, and then the lock can be reset or recovered.

generally I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they usually do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.    While $500 may seem like a lot up front they usually have a number of hidden charges which can exceed that amount, especially if there is damage done.

You wouldn't take your car to a mechanic who indicated that they can change the oil, but then find out the way they change the oil is by swapping engines out!

Contact a local safe company to discuss the work with them.    Anyone who knows what they are doing will probably give you a flat rate up front so you know exactly what to expect.

Secondly, if the $500 is a total charge, that would be about right.    While I'm in one of the more expensive areas in the country, we would charge $375 to open and repair the safe, and a $105 mobile, plus any parts.   We routinely open 3 to 5 safes every day and do not ruin any of them.

While "burning the bottom", may seem like a good alternative - it isn't.    You may get the safe open, however, there is a good possibility that you will ruin it and possibly burn up anything inside the safe.    Excessive heat can warp the walls of the safe, and misalign the door and frame.    We NEVER use a torch as a safe opening option!

I would recommend that you contact Wilson Safe Company in Philadelphia to discuss having it opened.    If they can't help, they will be able to direct you to someone in your area.

Wilson Safe Company -  800-345-8053

If you can't find someone, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see if there is anyone I know and/or would recommend in your area.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)